Glastonbury Festival, East Somerset Railway and Rubbish Art Project receive Culture Recovery Fund grants

  Posted: 02.04.21 at 10:00 by Tim Lethaby

us on Facebook

  See our new Community section



Three organisations in the Shepton Mallet area have received more than £1 million of funding between them in a second round of culture grants from the government.

The money has been awarded as part of the second round of funding from the Culture Recovery Fund, with a total of 2,700 organisation benefiting from more than £400 million of government money in this phase.

Glastonbury Festival will receive £900,000 to help the festival continue in 2021, with two smaller events this year, as well as to carry the festival through to 2022.

One of these is set to be the Live at Worthy Farm live stream ticketed event which will star Coldplay and Idles among others, and the second is set to be a smaller concert event in the autumn.

Michael and Emily Eavis, organisers of the Glastonbury Festival, said: "We’re extremely grateful to be offered a significant award from the Culture Recovery Fund.

"After losing millions from the cancellation of our last two festivals, this grant will make a huge difference in helping to secure our future."

Also receiving money is the East Somerset Railway at Cranmore, which will receive £160,700, and the Rubbish Art Project in Shepton Mallet, which will get a grant of £28,000.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden today (April 2) announced details of the 2,700 organisations being offered nearly £400 million in grants and loans to help the culture and heritage sector reopen and recover.

This brings the Government's total investment across grants, capital and repayable finance from the Culture Recovery Fund so far to more than £1.2 billion across more than 5,000 individual cultural and heritage organisations and sites.

The funding was reserved in the first round of the £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund to allow the Government to respond to the changing public health picture.

With more than 70 per cent of funding going outside of London, it will help organisations across the country as they welcome back visitors and return to normal operating models in the months ahead.

The first round of grants and repayable finance totalling more than £800 million were allocated to ensure the immediate survival of 3,800 cultural organisations and heritage sites across the country.

This second tranche of funding builds on the lifeline grants already awarded to support museums, theatres, performance venues, historic sites and cinemas as they reopen to audiences and visitors throughout the spring and summer.

Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said: “Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they've ever faced.

“Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors - helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the better times ahead.”

Nearly all of the original £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund has now been allocated, with more than £1.2 billion in grants and repayable finance offered to more than 5,000 individual organisations and sites, and further grants to be finalised over the coming weeks.

At last month’s Budget, the Chancellor announced a £300 million boost for the Culture Recovery Fund, as part of a wider £408 million package for arts and culture taking direct government investment in the sector since the start of the pandemic stands at almost £2 billion. Further details on the third round of the Culture Recovery Fund will be available in due course.

Like this article? Sign up to our weekly newsletter...
Now the Stay At Home coronavirus message has been replaced by Stay Local, we can now get out and about around Shepton Mallet over the Easter weekend. ...
Read more...

Share: